Sunday, March 10, 2019

Humbling

written: March 07

Photo 341/1001

0341

CUTE unicorn sticker on pen pal letter from Sandra R. that I received today. I am seriously going to need to step up my pen pal game. I should hit the Dollar Store and see about picking up some low-cost stickers and stuff to make my letters a bit better. ::smiles:: Or, most likely, I will just start going through the massive sticker collection I currently have. I have a ton that I’ve amassed over the years, so honestly, I should just use those all up first. Besides, the less money I spend on stickers the more I can spend on postal stamps.

A previous student of mine, Lindsey C., stopped by today to say hello. Crazy to think she’s a Junior now! This was the 2nd grader that I had an in depth conversation with about the differences between marsupial and placenta mammals and she could keep up with me on that. She’s the kiddo that I taught some Latin to so we could translate the scientific names of animals, to see how the name describes the animal.

And she said that she got really into art because I used to draw all the snakes at the after school program. And she wanted to do the same. Talk about warming my heart!

I’ll have to email her mom and tell her she has an awesome daughter.

I needed that reminder as to why I do the after school program. It’s so easy to get caught up in the daily bullshit grind. It’s so easy to get caught up with the politics of the work place. It’s the connections with the kiddos that go far beyond just what we do at the program that matter. I mean, Lindsey hasn’t been in my program for 9 years now. But I still had a big enough impact on her that she made it a point to stop by and hang out for a bit. I mean, damn. That is beyond humbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment