Saturday, June 30, 2018

Good Friends

Photo 91/1001

20180630_131137

SUSHI!!!!
To be more exact, this is TWO Dragon Rolls. Which, I learned…I cannot quite eat two entire Dragon Rolls. ::chuckles:: But it was damn fun trying!

The Arlington Gemstone and Mineral show was a bit of a bust. It was closer this year to me, at a slightly bigger venue, with a LOT more vendors….but the prices were so high. The Pyrite Sand Dollars that I saw last year for $20 were at least $40, if not more, this time around. So I didn’t get one and I’m a tad bummed, but it is what it is.

So, I’ll make note to set some extra money aside for next year. And I will be sure to go on Sunday instead of Saturday. While it was awesome to see so many families out enjoying it, there was just too many people there for me to really enjoy myself. I’m hoping that was mostly because I went on the first day – we’ll see what next year has in store.

And I just wanted to post the following, so I can keep it and remember it. Clint (a dear friend, also a fellow LARPer…honestly, he was the first friend I made up in college, so I’ve known him since 2000) reached out and sent this message to me in regards to my posts on Facebook concerning the death of one of my former students:

Yo. Saw your post. That has to be heart wrenching. I can’t imagine what it would be like to lose a child. People say that all the time and while they probably mean well, it is something of platitude I think. You had a hand in shaping this man’s life, so you probably feel this more than what a random commenter on FB ever could. I wish I had some advice to give out, something that would give a good perspective. I don’t. I have stared down some hard stuff and all I can say is that I know you are doing that now. Maybe the only real perspective I can offer isn’t about what is missing now. Maybe the thing you might find in the pain of this lose is that since you hurt, you cared. Since you cared, you made an impact. If you made an impact there, you are probably making an impact still with someone else. I don’t know what happened to that young man, I hope his loss isn’t further compounded by some kind of darkness. Regardless though, If my opinion helps orient your thoughts. meditate on the impact you are making now and focus on the light you are bringing.

It was everything I could do to NOT just bawl my eyes out at his kind words. Shit, if we are being real, just rereading it right now is bring tears to my eyes again. ::smiles::

Which, now really has me looking long and hard at my friends. They say tough times will show you clearly, who you CAN and CANNOT depend on. And Paula is not only someone I CANNOT depend on, but she’s also someone who, more times than naught, tends to say the most ignorant and therefore hurtful things. I don’t feel that she does this on purpose, but holy hell, she has one of the biggest issues with what I call WASP Privilege (White Anglo Saxon Protestant). Because she can be so open about just about anything in her life without repercussions, she cannot even begin to understand that not everyone has that same privilege. I got a BIG dose of that back in December when we had our “amazing” diversity meeting (holy hell, it was bloody AWFUL) and she fucking outed me about being Pagan to a coworker AS I WAS PROTESTING EVEN BEING INVOLVED IN THE “CONVERSATION”. She’s made constant comments about how we should all get along and how there shouldn’t be division marking “Black Rights, Women’s Rights, Trans’ Rights, etc” – we are all human, so we should all be the same. I pointed out that doing so turns a blind eye to the special challenges that each of those various minority groups face and she came back with how she “totally understands” that and wants everyone to be “unique” because “you people are like pieces of artwork”. Which, I know she means well, but I pointed out that it doesn’t feel like to be associated with an inanimate object like that, especially since by her own language she doesn’t see herself as a part of that group. ::shakes her head::

I am very selective in who I include in my various circles of friends. And this type of behavior, this type of mindset? I can’t tolerate it. And I don’t have to. But since we are coworkers, it does make the situation a little sticker than usual. So for now, I’m just limiting everything she can see on my FB page and completely unfollowing her. That will have to do for the following school year, because we’re coworkers. But once I part ways with the after school program, she will be unfriended and blocked on FaceBook. Seeing how that goes, I may have to block her from my cell as well. Just depends on how quickly she notices that she’s been removed from my FB world.

No comments:

Post a Comment