Saturday, June 2, 2018

Feral

I just finished thumbing through Halloween: Customs, Recipes, and Spells by Silver RavenWolf. I wasn’t holding out a whole lot of hope, but damn, I thought I would get more out of the book than I did. ::shakes her head:: It’s a good book for the beginner witch that wishes to learn the back-story and lore of the evolution of Halloween as we know it. But for anyone that’s been actively practicing for a few years, most of the stuff I just wasn’t interested in at all. I only took ONE thing away from the whole book – a simple Samhain Protection Powder because it was simple and I already have like 80% of the ingredients. ::chuckles:: But it seems to be a cool little powder that I wouldn’t mind making up some to send out to friends as well.

I’m still plugging away at the book Wicca: Another Year and a Day by Timothy Roderick. I will say, I probably should have read the first book he wrote (Wicca: A Year and a Day) because he references it very heavily. But at least he has the bulk of his references listed in the back as Appendixes, so I’m not completely in the dark. And honestly, I’m just reading that one to see if there are any suggestions he makes that I would want to incorporate into my own practice.

But reading his book has made me realize that British Wicca (like the Gardnerian or Alexandrian Lineages) are not for me. I’m not all about the “thou” and “thee” and “knowest”, etc. I’m sure their rituals are beautiful and the poetry they speak has the ability to bring about major transformation. But, that just ain’t me. If I could figure out how to do an entire ritual with howls, growls, and yips, you get your ass, that’s the way I would do it. ::laughs:: I dunno – British Wicca just seems so…..refined and proper. And I’m just fully feral here. ::chuckles::

BUT, at least I’m figuring out what I am NOT interested in. Helps shuck away the unused parts so that I can hone down on the meat of my practice instead.

Photo 63/1001

20180602_151136

A lovely feather gift from my pen-pal, Sorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment