Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Wishes Answered

written: August 14th

Photo for the day:

20170814_202336 

A lovely little hawk feather I found on our walk today. I swear, this neighborhood truly is finally warming up to me, and I’m finally connecting with the natural world here. It’s pulse is very different from the wooded trails, but I’m finally meshing with it.

So today, I didn’t go to the Tech Job. Instead, I got to sleep in until 8:30 am! Amazing! And then I went up to the after school program’s main office to work on my presentation I’m going at our orientation. My presentation is over documentation again – I got such rave reviews last year. And since I’m just updating the information, it was a breeze to do. And then I goofed around for about an hour, still on the clock. It was awesome.

But the best news? Gail, my supervisor, came in and told me she had news she thought I would be thrilled to hear – we aren’t doing Caine’s Arcade this year! She was shocked at how the other supervisors were THRILLED as well. ::laughs:: I’m sure you could hear us cheering on the other side of the building. ::laughs::

Now, don’t get me wrong. The CONCEPT behind Caine’s Arcade (serious, look it up on YouTube, it’s awesome), is to encourage creativity in children. Caine made his own arcade out of cardboard boxes at his dad’s work and it turned out to be something truly awesome. And I love the creativity my students unleash when given boxes. But attempting to do this massive undertaking with SEVENTY kids? It’s a fucking nightmare. And add to this that Kelly (director) wants us to do it in September…when we’ve only been in school a few weeks and are still trying to get the kids on a routine? Yeah, it’s just insane. NONE of the supervisors enjoy Caine’s Arcade. We have a major jump in the number of injury reports and behavior reports. And we are all so ragged by the end of it. It’s just terrible. So I’m THRILLED that after FOUR years of complaining and begging and pleading and crying and a whole lot of civil disobedience (at least on my part) – upper management is finally bowing to our collective wishes. Thank all that is holy.

No comments:

Post a Comment