Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Look Ma', No Flames!

written: August 22nd

Photo for today:

20170822 

Look it! PROOF I can set foot inside a church and not catch on fire! ::cackles:: Which, now that I think about it, I’ve been in more churches this MONTH than I have in the past few years! ::chuckles::
So yeah, Day 2 of Orientation for the after school program. As much as it sucks to spend all day (and all week) in Orientation, I do believe that it’s a good thing. Especially for our brand new employees. That way we aren’t just dumping a crap-ton of information on them and tossing them in. It gives them a few days to really get a deeper understanding of all the craziness that will come throughout the school year. ::chuckles::

This photo, I took in my “classroom” at the church. I’m leading the class on documentation – like I did last year. And holy hell, I must have done a good job. Of the two classes I gave today, class one had 35 people in it and class two had 42 people in it. I’m only supposed to have like 25, but the bosses didn’t do signup sheets this year, so people just flooded my classroom. It’s mostly all the new hires, but that means their supervisors told them they had to take my class, so I’ll take that as a huge compliment. But that is a shit ton of people for someone who doesn’t like talking in front of large groups of people. ::chuckles:: But hopefully this means tomorrow, that my two classes will be much, MUCH smaller.

I got to meet one of my new aides today. Luckily, Jess is returning again. This is her 3rd year on my campus. She told me that Gail (our supervisor) had asked her about being a floater supervisor (like a sub), but Jess preferred to be on my campus. Thank goodness! I don’t enjoy doing “all brand new aides”. Hopefully my other aide will be at Orientation tomorrow. And I still have one more slot to be filled and then my campus will be fully staffed. As it is, the ratio isn’t too terrible – not ideal, but definitely do-able.

The new aide I met today, Laina, is an education major, due to graduate in December. So I have some pretty high hopes for her, and she seems eager to put her own spin on things as well. So I will certainly be utilizing her!

And this is also Day 2 of Migraines. This are triggered migraines due to the projector they are using at the church to display videos and notes up on the big screen. It just kills my head to watch it. At least today’s migraine isn’t nearly as bad as yesterday’s. I knew from yesterday, to give myself a lot of breaks from trying to look at the screen and I just tried listening instead. And apparently, a number of us are having headaches/migraines from the projector as well.

And after all of that, then the site supervisors (like what I am) all headed over to the main office to get an actual walk-through step-by-step of the new software we will be using to log our students in and out and it keeps up with all their data as well. And holy fuck, they packed us in like sardines. I’ve never grinded up against more people in my life….INCLUDING my single days at the Goth Club! ::laughs::

BUT, it was so much better to actually have the laptop in front of us, able to go through each step. It sounded so much more convoluted and difficult when the Tech was explaining yesterday, and we had nothing physical with which to link it to. Surprising, a lot of students that I had last year, aren’t in my program this year…or at least not at the beginning of the school year. I should have looked at who all is on my wait list, as I know a number of parents waited until THIS WEEK to register their kids, so those students are starting until Sept 5th.

Who knew I could babble this long about work-related stuff that ISN’T rage induced? ::laughs::

No comments:

Post a Comment