Monday, May 15, 2017

Arrogance

written: May 14th

Photo for today:

alt text

Doing a bit of reading in A Witch Alone. It is so very, VERY Wiccan. And I’m so NOT Wiccan. I dunno, the quote I wrote down on the note pad really rubbed me the wrong way.

“The God of the pagans walks in three worlds: the lowly land of all beasts, wild and tame, with their simplicity; the man-made realms and agricultural/industrial complexes, for he has always been the Magical Smith, the Maker and Designer: and above these he is the Divine Sky Father.” (from A Witch Alone by Marian Green).

First off, I think this is an overly simplistic view of The God of Wiccans (even though Mrs. Green poses that he is the god of all pagans, which, lemme tell you, ain’t true at all). I’m also not a fan of the triple aspect forced upon deities by individuals when that deity clearly is not a triple aspect. Like people want to force all goddesses into one of the “three faces of goddess: maiden, mother, crone”. ::shakes her head:: Now, some deities do fit that stereotype….but there are a lot that don’t. And we all know how I feel about being pigeon-holed into a too tight box that doesn’t fit me, or that requires me to cut off parts of my personality to fit inside said box. And if I, as a human, loathe that? I can only imagine how the Spirits feel…given that it is HUMANS attempted to force them into holes that do not reflect the expansiveness that they are.

Secondly, I really got pissed at the whole “lowly land of all beasts, wild and tame, with their simplicity” line. Fuck that hierarchy. Why does man constantly seek to place himself above the animals? Smacks wayyyy too much of Genesis from the Bible, where that God gave man dominion over all the beasts of the world. I don’t think that animals are lowly nor simplistic. Toss any “typical” human out into the natural world and they wouldn’t last a month out there with the “lowly” and “simplistic” animals.

Thirdly, how could the god always have been the “magical smith” if smithing was a human invention and didn’t occur for ages? I get so exhausted by certain Wiccans trying to prove/claim that Wicca is an ancient religion, handed through unbroken lineages a witches from the Original Times. Let’s be honest. It’s not. It may be based off of ancient fertility and agricultural rites from ages and cultures long ago, but actual Wicca is a relatively “new” religion. And there is nothing wrong with that. The Old Gods and Spirits are very much alive and well and they don’t REQUIRE anything of us. We can enter into relationship and partnerships with them and it can be very much mutually beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment