Monday, January 1, 2018

The Beginning

Welcome 2018!

This year’s Word of Power is: Sparkle

Sparkle-definition 

Not joking. It really is Sparkle. Which, anyone who even remotely knows me, knows “sparkle” is not a typical part of my vocabulary. ::chuckles:: But, previous years’ words were so….aggressive….active….that I wanted something different.

So in 2018, I want to do more things that make me sparkle…that make my eyes shine, my heart glad, and my Spirit soar. Or at least, that’s the thought behind this year’s word. ::smiles::

This year’s Totem is the Tiger:

bengal-tiger-5630x3727-national-geographic-tiger-hunter-predator-4145 

A totem of solitude, passion, power, strength, focus, perseverance, sensuality, camouflage, silence, and determination. Quite similar to 2017’s Totem of the Jaguar.

And yet….Hyena has popped up. And the more I look into Hyena – healing power of laughter, sharing your knowledge freely, trusting your instincts, watch your biting words – the more she seems to be running a very close second to the Tiger. But from what I hear, Hyena isn’t a “front and center” totem…ever. She likes to play in the shadows and pop up from time to time. Should prove to be quite an interesting year.

Moving on…

To appease the New Year’s Day Gods….
I made Cajun Cowboy Caviar (black eyed peas), cornbread stuffing, spinach salad (the closest I will eat to “greens”), with bacon (pork) crumbled over the top. That should cover all the “good luck” foods for New Year’s Day.

20180101_184455 

Honestly, I was really nervous about the Cajun Cowboy Caviar. I LOATHE black eyed peas – hell, I was gagging as I was pouring the cans of black eyed peas into the pot – that’s how much I loathe them. I cannot even stand the smell of them. But this recipe totally came through. Though, note for next year…if I don’t do THREE cans of black eyed peas (I only did 2 cans this time), then I REALLY should cut back on some of the seasoning. ::chuckles:: It was a tad too spicy, but nothing too terrible. And best of all? You couldn’t even taste the dreaded black eyed peas. AMAZING!

So this recipe puts me at 3 new recipes (I set the goal for 6 new recipes by my next birthday – Nov 10th – to this goal I may end up completely surpassing).

Tonight is the first full moon of 2018 – the Full Wolf Moon. And yeah, I ain’t celebrating it tonight. Yesterday’s day long ritual really wore me out and I’m just not feeling it today. haven’t even had a chance to redo the altar. So, I’ll be doing that tomorrow – plus smudging down the house with Sage and then Sweetgrass. David will be back at work tomorrow, so I’ll have the day to run through all of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment