Friday, February 8, 2019

Solo

written: February 06

Photo 312/1001

0312

I received this AMAZING postcard from Germany via Postcrossing. And the person who sent it to me even works with the wild wolves in Germany! Too friggin’ cool!

You know you are completely out of it when you realize at 6 pm that you never took your thyroid medication OR anti-depressant. You know, things you do FIRST thing in the morning? ::shakes her head:: Yeah, still suffering from The Crud. But I did make it to the F. Library and had a pretty decent morning. First hour was my “special project” – weeding the picture books. Second hour was down in the Teens room with Courtney. Third hour was the Teens room on my own. While in the Teens room, I got to work on another “special project” – tagging books that are in a series with the number they are in the series. I don’t understand why authors/publishers don’t do this. It makes the reader’s life SO MUCH EASIER. But yeah, so I was putting number tags on various books in there for a while. Then, for the last 15 minutes or so, I just looked at books. I have a few now that I’ve put on my To Read List. I re-found Carrie Ryan’s series, The Forest of Hands and Teeth and now I really want to re-read it. Which, looking on Amazon, apparently Mrs. Ryan has added some more books and short-stories to the series. That’s going on my Wish List and hopefully in the fall I can start reading through them all again.

I need to re-do my schedule for my Practicum hours again. There is just no way I can do 14 hours of Practicum time on top of the after school program AND course work. I was beyond insane when I wrote that. ::laughs:: I really think I thought I could do that. I mean, the anti-depressant I’m on has given me an entirely new lease on life and I actually can keep up with normal people for the most part now. But holy hell, it isn’t speed. ::laughs::

And honestly, my work life and my down time really have to balance out, or I go spiraling down in a blaze of glory. The anti-depressant allows me to DO more, for sure. But I still have to have a balance of sorts, or I will crash and burn. So right now, I’m figuring out what that balance is between Practicum hours, work hours, school work hours, and down time. I’m sure I’ll have to do the same thing again when I get a library job. I know I’m not the only one who struggles with this, and it’s nice to know it isn’t “just me”. That I’m not just being a wimp and just need to suck it up and try harder. I do need to push myself at times. But I can’t do that all the time. My mental health just plummets when I push too far and too hard. I’m slowly learning how far is safe to push it, how long it will take for me to “rest and recharge” from pushing it, and how far is too far. All great fun things to figure out in your late 30’s! ::laughs::

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post reminded me to go and take my morning meds too, so thanks!

    I'm pretty sure figuring out your ideal work/life balance is a moving target. I'm the same age and it seems to be all over the place, depending on a thousand different variables. Actually being able to recognise that it changes and needs adjusting - that's the trick, and it sounds like you're onto it.

    Wendy M

    (reposting because I didn't realise it was going up totally anonymous, thanks for that Google)

    ReplyDelete