Sunday, February 17, 2019

Honor & Guns

written: February 16

Photo 322/1001

0322

A beautiful rubber stamp, Betty R. (a pen pal) used on the letter I received today. I love it. Seriously, love it.

I have been struggling with how to properly honor my grandmother at her upcoming funeral. She was a full blooded, proud Scot. She was officially Christian (Baptist), but she ADORED Greek and Roman mythology. I have her papers from college and her mythology book with all her personal notes. It comforts me to think she is up there, finally getting to meet and hang out with all the deities, titans, mythological creatures, and epic heroes that she loved so much. And then it came to me – I need to put two coins in her coffin to pay Charon, the Boatman, to ferry her soul across the River Styx. I am thinking a Susan B. Anthony dollar and a Sacagawea dollar – silver and gold. And with the faces of two, strong women. Much like my grandmother endeavored to be, and to make my Mom and myself into as well. Ideally, the coins would go on her eyes, but the rest of the family is very Christian. So instead, I will put them in a nice little drawstring pouch, and place it inside the coffin with her. Charon will find the coins when it is my grandmother’s turn to cross the River. Still not sure what I will say at the funeral itself. But I feel at peace, finally, to have something to do to honor her passing.

David and I went and looked at guns today. I am wanting a handgun and am deciding between the Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Shield or a Taurus G2C. Emily H. (coworker and friend) did say that one of the local gun ranges has those guns for people to test out on the range, which is exactly what I want to do before committing to purchase. The Taurus has a much thicker grip than the Smith & Wesson, but just holding the gun – I like the feel of the Smith & Wesson better. David is talking about possibly going tomorrow or Monday (since we both have the day off) and firing some guns. He is looking more towards a rifle or a shotgun for himself. So at some point, we will hit the gun range and check them out ourselves. Plus, this gun range offers a number of classes for both pistols and rifles, along with the class to get licensed to carry. As I do plan to carry mine (concealed – no sense in broadcasting that I have a weapon) where I legally can. There are also some groups in the area that do “drawing under pressure” weapons training that I definitely would want to look into once I am done with the degree. Because, there is no point in getting a gun for protection if I can’t draw it properly in hostile situations. Hopefully, I won’t find myself in one of those situations and it will all be for naught…but better safe than sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment