Wednesday, April 12, 2017

The Storm Birds

written: April 10th

Photo of the day:

alt text

In my city of residence, the storms typically skirt us. All around our city, other cities will get slammed with hail and tornadoes and flooding, but our city gets only the tail end, if even that, when these storms blow through. But tonight? Tonight we got one hell of a storm, complete with hail.

I understand now why Witches have been linked to storms. I understand the appeal of being a Weather Witch – a Witch who is connected to and draws power from the weather, particularly storms.

We had a storm blow through that completely electrified me and that I felt connected to. I “blame” the heightened senses on watching Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them – creatures, magickal and mundane, are my core. But this storm? I could feel the Harpies playing within it.

And because I was so in tuned with the storm, I could discern the various roars within it. The roll of the thunder. The pelting rain. And the sound on an incoming storm line of hail. I even had enough of an advanced warning to be able to explain to my husband that he needed to move his car to our covered carport (he typically parks on the street in front of our house).

And what a roar the hail made as the storm line crossed us. I held my arms up to the sky (under my porch – I have no desire to be pelted by hail hurled from the skies) and holy fuck, did the power of the storm rise up and engulf me. If my neighbors – hell, even my husband – could have seen me with arms upraised and deep soulful laughter spilling from my mouth – they would have crossed themselves and prayed for deliverance from this mad woman and her storm. If it had not been hailing, I fancy I would have been out dancing with my Storm Birds until I fell from exhaustion.

But, alas, marble and quarter sized hail dampened the desire to dance out in the storm…this time around. Hopefully another storm will break and I will be able to run wild out into the rain and dance among my Storm Birds and rejoice in the fact that I am a Witch. I am connected to the natural world even though I find myself stalking an urban jungle. The daily walks with Josey (the dog) allow me to locate natural things (plants and bird life mostly) and to tap into the natural order. This aids me in keeping my Soul wild and my Instincts sharp.

One day, I will have the land I crave. The open space to conduct all of my ceremonies and rituals outside as I please. Until then, I hone my Craft so I may fully appreciate that amazing gift when it finally arrives.

If I can connect that deeply with a storm, within the confines of a city…imagine the connection I will have when I am out in the country, on acres of land that are my own. That I have walked daily and that I know like the back of my hand. I will know where the power pools upon my land, and I will know how to best tap into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment