Monday, January 23, 2017

Windy & Sacred Tools

written: Jan 22

I don’t really even know why I bother listing the #cy365 photo challenge prompts when I don’t follow them 80% of the time. ::chuckles:: So from here on out (aka, for the rest of the year), I’ll only list the prompt if I actually followed it.

Today was WINDY! Like, holy shit, Dorothy, was that a flying monkey I just saw windy. Photo for today is our local little mockingbird who has returned, looking all windblown. ::chuckles:: I know, it’s not the greatest of pictures, but it was the best I could do from inside the house, through two panes of glass, on a gray, gray, GRAY day.

alt text

I finished up the assignments due by today (two introductions and a discussion question). Fairly easy stuff for the first week of class – so grateful! I’m sure it will just get more challenging from here on out.

I actually got one of my pages completely done for my Working Grimoire. Woohoo for me! I wrote up the Daily Affirmation page and it is done and in my Grimoire Binder. Now I just need to do the rest of the pages! HA!

I’m trying not to get too fancy with the pages. Even this one that I did, I drew out and erased and redrew the lines TWICE because it wasn’t quite right. I had to draw lines because the paper is unlined, but my writing needs a line or else it curves all over the damn place. ::chuckles:: With the Grimoire, I’m having to walk this fine line between Paralyzing Perfection (wanting everything to be perfect, and thus never doing a damn thing) but also making sure that I’m not just slapping some shit down and hoping for the best.

I really liked this quote from The Modern Witchcraft Grimoire by Skye Alexander:
“You’ll come to see that writing in your grimoire is a ritual in itself – you’re creating a sacred tool that contains the chronicle of the magick unfolding within you.” p. 27
You know, I had never thought of the Book of Shadows / Grimoire as a sacred tool. I mean, I had thought of it as being sacred. But a sacred tool? Akin to the athame, or wand, or deity representation? No, I hadn’t thought of it that way. But what an awesome way to think of it. This line of thought reasons that while it is sacred and should be treated as such, it is also a TOOL and as such, should be USED! And I really like that thought.

As of right now, I typically write down my impressions and thoughts and the How-to of a ritual/spell right after I’ve completed it. I write it on my white board, because it just flows so smoothly and I can erase so very easily. It keeps up with my thoughts. Plus, I like the way my handwriting looks on the white board. No matter how fast I have to scribble to keep up, it’s still legible and decent looking. After that, then I can transfer it over to paper, where I can flesh it out a bit more. The white board is to catch the bare bones of everything…writing it on paper or typing it up on my computer allows for more reflection and thought and detail. Once that step is complete, then I transfer it, handwritten, into my Grimoire itself.

And, thus far? It’s going pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment