Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Action

written: Jan 23rd

The #cy365 photo prompt for today is “Action”. This is a photo of the theme we are doing this week at the afterschool program – the theme is the Chinese New Year. Amber P’s (my sometimes annoying aide) daughter is fluent in Mandarin, so Amber volunteered to translate everyone’s name over into Mandarin – at 67 students PLUS her 4 coworkers and herself. So yeah, she translated and sketched out in pencil 72 names into Mandarin. So major hats off to her!

alt text

And the students had so much fun with it. I had students requesting to come in off the playground just so they could do their “Chinese” name – which, each time they said this, I made it a point to gently correct them. There is no “Chinese” language – there is Mandarin and Cantonese. And it was awesome to then hear the students pass this information along when their parents picked them up and commented about their name in “Chinese”.

So yeah, this is “Action” because I am STILL fighting the Boss over these fucking lesson plans. This is “Action” because the students had so much fun with it and really enjoyed themselves. If I had followed the shitty lesson plans they had given me, the students would have made a fucking paper plate apple and worm (for the state of Washington) and a paper Mr. Potato Head (for the state of Idaho). Yeah, which do you think they enjoyed more?

I’m also having Amber take each student’s photo with their name in Mandarin. We are putting these on our private Shutterfly website to share with the parents. I wish I could show those photos here, because you can see how proud the kids are of their tracing work. You can’t tell me they would be this happy making a stupid ass apple. Here, I even found a photo of said stupid ass apple craft:

alt text

So yeah, still fighting with the Boss. But I’m laying the ground work so I can argue my case to the Head Boss soon. The Boss (Gail) is supposed to come out to my campus Wednesday to go over the lesson plans – how much you wanna bet it ends up like last Wednesday, when she all this stuff up and then didn’t even fucking call me to let me know she wouldn’t be coming out? Whatever.

And honestly, Amber and I make a pretty good team when it comes to making lesson plans. We each have strengths that play to the other person’s strengths. And I think with our powers combined, we will have some awesome crafts and/or games for the students. If Gail would just let us do our own thing! ::sighs::

No comments:

Post a Comment