Saturday, January 7, 2017

Cuddles and Prepping

Today’s #cy365 prompt was “Where I Stand”. Originally I took a photo of my feet on the elliptical, as I did finally get my butt on it today. ::chuckles:: But then it started “snowing” (it is really just sleet, but here in Texas, because we rarely even get that, we just call it snow and enjoy it while it is here), and my crazy little pit bull wanted NO part of it, that I am going with a photo of us cuddled up on the floor, under a blanket, in front of the little space heater we have in the living room instead. Because that is how we roll here in this household. ::laughs::

alt text

So to touch more on the wilderness school I mentioned in passing yesterday – it is the Earth Native Wilderness School in Austin. I found it when I was searching for a “local” group that hosts Vision Quests. There is a group down in Houston that I was trying to locate again when I stumbled across this one instead. And this one is not only closer, but it offers so many classes that I have been interested in taking, but had no idea WHERE I could take such classes.

I am really going to let my nerd flag fly here, but these are the classes I am interested in taking:

- Acorn Harvesting & Preparation
- Brain Tanning Buckskin
- Camouflage & Concealment
- Flint Knapping & Primitive Stone Tools
- Knife Making
- Wilderness Survival 101

Seriously makes me giddy at the thought of getting to take such classes beyond the Vision Quest. Now, I will not be able to take all of those classes this year. One, I just do not have the time to do each of those classes. And two….some of those classes are PRICY. But I think if I space them out over two years or so, I can do all of them. I like the “survival/prepper” type of classes. I would like to increase my knowledge and skill set in this realm. Besides, have you seen the price of tanned leathers and hides? And given than my brother and his friends enjoy hunting, I can get deer hides easily and cheaply.

Oooh, random idea….I can treat myself to one class for each A I get in my Master’s program. ::chuckles:: Y’all may laugh, but that is some crazy motivation there on top of my standard competitive streak. So I got two A’s last semester, so that is two classes I can take already. ::rubs her hands together and starts plotting:: Honestly, though, the brain tanning class is about $200 so most likely it will count for two of these classes.

::sigh:: I soooo look forward to the day that I am making more than $22,000 a year. Yeah, ya read that right. That is roughly what I make after taxes. Amazing that I have done this well for myself, this long, on so little money. I look forward to the day that I complete my Master’s degree and I am making more than $22k. Am I saying that money will make all my “problems” disappear? No. But not being worried about looming debt AND being able to pay all my bills with some fun money left over? That shit is AMAZING. THAT is what I am looking forward to achieving.

No comments:

Post a Comment