Sunday, January 8, 2017

Snow, Pigs, & Expenses

written: January 7th

#cy365 prompt is “Minty White” – which has always bothered me because mint is GREEN. ::laughs:: Yeah, just one of those thoughts that sticks with me and irks me anytime it comes up. Anyways, another shot of the “snow” once it was done “snowing”:

alt text

I’m glad I took this shot as soon as I got up. By noon, most of the snow had melted away. Right now the only snow left is what’s been protected by shade and shadow. And from what I’m seeing about our weather, we’re supposed to be back up in the 70s by midweek. ::laughs:: Gotta love our two or three days of winter at a time.

My brother and two of his friends went hunting out on our land. Right now, the only deer you can take are does (females) and spikes (males who’s antlers do no fork). But to Mom’s and my happiness, they took one of the feral hogs instead.

alt text

This is ONE of the boars….not even the biggest, that my Mom’s named “Big Boy”.

alt text

This is why, as much as I would like to camp out on Mom’s land, I won’t, unless I go out and run a hot wire perimeter. And even then, I would certainly have a gun on me for sure.

We just have SO many hogs. There’s a handful of adult sows that we really need to kill off. And TONS of piglets. Which are cute with their spotted coats, but the above hog is what they turn into. Hell no. They have got to go. And given that those lil female piglets can be sexually mature at 6 months old, and that they have zero problem with having multiple litters….you can see why they are so difficult to eradicate. Shit, I may take up hunting just to go after the pigs. I’m not sure that I could take a deer myself just yet.

Who knows? Maybe after taking all those wilderness survival classes, I’ll be out there running around in a loin cloth with a spear, killing ‘em all! ::dies laughing:: Yeah, just ignore all the cactus, mesquite, and other vicious native Texas plants that are out there.

Looks like the next medium expense for the house will be getting proper curtains for all the windows. The next BIG expense will be probably having someone come out and reseal some of the windows. With the temperatures being down in the single digits at night, we figured out real fast that some of the windows are VERY drafty. ::sighs:: Now, the Husband would love to replace all the windows with bullet-proof glass, but that transforms the Big Expense into a MASSIVE Expense, so that is definitely on the backburner for a while. He might change out one window every so often until he gets them all done. Or this may just be a project that he talks about and dreams about for years, but never actually does. But then again…he’s done one window already. There’s just no telling with him. ::laughs::

No comments:

Post a Comment