Sunday, September 10, 2017

Money & Work Babblings

written: Sept 8th

Photo for the day:

20170908 

Set of scented oils that I’ve divvied up for some friends. Sadly, I will have to wait until the next payday to mail them out. September is always a tough month because I’m still recovering from the lean pay over summer, as the Tech Job isn’t paying at the same level as the after school program. So while it does pay the bills, it does not leave any fun money. And given that David’s birthday is on the 12th of this money, any fun money I manage to scrounge up goes to him. And I almost always feel bad that I can’t do more. But, hopefully, this only temporary. Hopefully, once I finish my Master’s degree and get a full time library-ish job somewhere, my income will be better and more stable. At least, that’s the friggin’ dream. That’s what I’m attempting to achieve through all of this course craziness. ::shakes her head::

Work is interesting. My non-potty-trained student…today was his last day. His father was a bit snarky, which I completely understand where he’s coming from…but at the same time? I wish he could see it a bit from our perspective. We are understaffed even if all our students fell in the “normal” spectrum. And when we have students that need a bit more one-on-one? That leaves the other staff WAY over ratio with the students. It’s not fair to everyone involved. And if he were to get potty trained, I would be more than willing to have that student back in our program. There are no hard feelings on my side. I just know that it isn’t exactly fair to the parents, if we are being honest here. And I can definitely see things from their point of view. The whole situation just sucks. ::shrugs::

And my high schooler and I are about to have a Coming To Jesus Meeting. We’ve been working 9 days…and he’s been late for 8 of those days, been out of dress code at least half of those days, AND left early the past two Fridays. That’s so unfair to the rest of the staff because then we are REALLY short-handed, and he isn’t letting my supervisor know in a timely manner so that we could even be considered for getting a sub for those days. And I’m sure it’s because he has zero idea how the program is run (he missed a few days of orientation), and just assumes it’s all hunky dory. ::shakes her head:: But yeah, that shit has GOT to stop.

And because we are understaffed, it makes it impossible for me to rotate through the various places we go (like outside or to the gym or the group bathroom break) so see how it’s running (or NOT running). It also makes it very hard to be able to do on-site training for those areas. Hopefully we will get another aide SOON, and I can start getting back into the rotation on that stuff and nip some of these minor problems in the bud before they grow into BIG problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment