Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Blankies, Candles, and Archives

written: Sept 18th

Photo for today:

20170917_171709

Josey is REALLY hoping I won’t take her “mini-blankie” – the scrap of tiger print blanket beside her. The blanket is in her kennel, and it is a seriously mangled/loved blanket. ::laughs:: She’s only allowed to destroy the blankets in her kennel (mostly because we aren’t here to keep her from destroying them), and thus leaves all the other blankets in the house alone. ::chuckles::

So Wal-Mart now has Yankee Candles. So dangerous. ::chuckles:: I did pick up a candle, not Yankee, but cinnamon scented in a nice red candle holder. Once the candle burns down completely, I plan to make my own candle in that candle holder. You know, whenever I finally capture this mythical thing called “free time”. ::chuckles::

Today was all about the reading. I had to read for my Archives & Manuscripts class. Note to Self: Stop making shit extra hard for this class. I hunted and hunted through the online university’s library for this one particular article that I HAD to have for class, to no avail. Finally, I just typed the article’s full title into Google, and BAM. There it was, in its entirety! Like, for fuck’s sake, girl! I’ll just start Googling this shit and be done with my university’s difficult library search. And damn, did that turn out to be an INTERESTING article to read!

Ok, so I admit, my opinions on things that are interesting to read, may not be everyone else’s jam. This particular article “The Archival Sliver: Power, Memory, & Archives in South Africa” by Verne Harris was all about the apartheid in South African, and how that racism/classism pervaded every aspect of their society…including the archives. And how the archives, based on what records (information) they kept and what they destroyed, helped shape and bolster the social memory/narrative, thus bolstering the racism/classism that made up apartheid. And I can see it mirrored in so many other places. Like, damn White People!?! Why are we such DICKS?!?! ::shakes her head:: Yay arrogance!

And to leave this entry on a positive note, damn, I love these Texas sunsets:

20170917_193832

No comments:

Post a Comment