Tuesday, October 17, 2017

#MeToo

written: October 15th

Photo for the day:

20171015_151238 

I just loved how the foam on my tea looked like a small universe. Sadly, I did not enjoy the tea. I think I made it too sweet. ::shrugs:: I really need to cut back my caffeine intake, and I was hoping to switch over to tea….but yeah….not this tea. ::laughs:: Back to the drawing board on this.

So the FaceBook and Twitter worlds are being taken by storm by the #MeToo hashtag. The explanation behind the #MeToo hashtag is “if all the women who have been sexually harassed or assaulted wrote “Me, too.” as a status, we might give people a sense of the magnitude of the problem.”

We all know that sexual harassment and sexual assault is a big problem, especially with how pervasive it is against women. But to see almost every single woman on my friends list post #MeToo? Every time, it took my breath away…it was a sucker punch to the gut because you know it wasn’t good. Even on the “lesser” evil of cat-calling and street harassment, it still was a bad experience. Some women would share their experiences and those were just gut wrenching as they ran the gauntlet from cat-calling, to groping, to threatened assault, to full assault. I merely posted my #MeToo. I didn’t want to share my experiences because they run that full gauntlet from molestation as a young girl, to being grabbed in various clubs, to having men stalk me, to full on assault. That’s just not something I am comfortable sharing on my Facebook page.

Honestly, it became almost triggering towards the end of the day. After reading all the experiences from various women I love and adore…after reading the experiences of other women out there that elected to share their experiences. I just couldn’t handle any more. I had to shut down the internet for a while and walk away from it because I was just in tears over some of the stories.

In other news, I finally took my car in because the engine runs really loud once I hit 42+ miles per hour. ::sighs:: I need to get that fixed before I make the trip to my lil hometown to see my mom and get this car inspected (because it’s sooooo much cheaper in my lil hometown). So hopefully that will be an easy and cheap fix. I’ve got my fingers crossed but I sure as shit am not holding my breath.

4 comments:

  1. THe #Metoo is flooding my news feed and one of my nieces shared a situation from when she was five. IF her father was alive I can believe the person involved would be beaten within an inch of his life.

    I would never want to be dismissive of this to anyone but I am finding I am skeptical as to everyone's admissions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it about her story that makes you skeptical?
      I find that most of the time people are skeptical because they don't wish to believe a person they know and care for is capable of doing terrible things.
      So I would say, unless it is just wayyyy out in left field (involving Satanist, UFOs, or sacrificing hippos), I would give her the benefit of the doubt. Too many times we are outright dismissed because someone doesn't WANT to believe what we are saying.

      Delete
  2. I should say everyone else's
    admissions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would pose the same question from above to this statement as well.
      Why are you skeptical of what people are saying?

      Delete