Saturday, October 28, 2017

Deafening

written:  October 25th

Photo for today:

20171025_191433 

Josey doing her best to destroy the box that Annette shipped the snake wreath to me in. This box was seriously taped up, so it wore Josey completely out BEFORE she was able to destroy it. That is like crazy rare! ::laughs::

Alexia (my high schooler aide) was out today so we got Tatiana instead. I’ve worked with Tatiana back when I did the summer camp and I just love her. She’s a hoot to work with. So, given that our ocean “day of play” is coming up at work soon and we’ve done like 3% of the necessary work, I was going over everything with my staff that was there.

And Tatiana got to hear my horror stories about how badly these things have gone in the past for me. And then she was kind enough to tell us about what she’s seen at the other campuses. Most are sticking with 2-D art and most aren’t letting the students even use markers. So that did wonders to calm any fears and apprehension I had about the whole thing. Now I can just focus on getting the few small projects done between now and Nov 1st, we’ll be sitting pretty.

And it was amazing how much calmer the students were with Alexia not being here. No one was screaming at the children. They actually listen if you will take the time to TALK to them like fucking human beings. I need to really sit down with Alexia and address the screaming. That shit needs to stop. And it’s not just about the screaming either – she’s always talking at a level 10, I swear. Like, bitch, I’m THREE FEET AWAY – why you yelling at me?

I see a LOT of my High School Self in Alexia. Both the parts I adored about myself at that age, and a whole shit ton of the parts of HATE. ::laughs:: So it’s been quite the challenge, to say the least. As irritating as she can be, I know I was just as arrogant in my “knowledge” at that age. What an insufferable lil shit I appeared to everyone else, I am beginning to see just HOW insufferable I must have been. Very humbling now.

No comments:

Post a Comment