Monday, February 13, 2017

Nerd

written: Feb 10th

Today’s #cy365 photo challenge prompt is “What I’m reading”:

alt text

Yep that is currently what is DOMINATING my life at the moment. I have a massive paper due (1200 to 1500 words) due by midnight. Don’t get me wrong, it is vastly fascinating to me, but holy shit – 1200 words is a lot more than I’m accustomed to writing.

So yeah, while I’m sure these articles aren’t interesting to anyone else, I find them VASTLY awesome. They have figured out a way to read these scrolls that were basically flash-burnt-to-a-crisp thanks to Mount Vesuvius – yep, the very same one that annihilated Pompeii – without unrolling and thus damaging the scrolls. And thus far, the ones they’ve scanned and translated and all that jazz are previously unknown works by Philodemus (a Greek philosopher). Who knows what else the other scrolls may contain? And the fact that this is one of the few libraries to have “survived” from ancient times? Too friggin’ awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment