Saturday, July 16, 2016

My Beef with the Fae



Annie, a dear friend of mine, inquired into my “Fae hate”…stating that it sounded almost personal.  ::laughs::  I told her I would certainly add it to my list of topics I wish to over this round of the National Journal Writing Month challenge (NaJoWritMo), and I have been mulling over the question and the proper way to answer it ever since she asked about it.  How could I properly sum up why I am more than willing to work with the Harpies and occasionally Set, but not the Fae – not under any circumstances?

My maternal grandmother is a full-blooded Scot and would talk often of how she would have Fairy parties as a child.  When I would ask if the Fairies were real, she was quick to say yes, but that they were never allowed in the house.  Her Fairy parties were done down on the land, where an old tree had fallen over.  There was a flat stone there that was perfect for a tea party with Fairies.  But that area was just for them, and that they were not allowed to return to the house with her.  When I asked her why, she said they were mischievous and loved playing tricks for the sake of playing tricks.  Thus, it was perfectly fine to play with them out on the land, but never invite them back to the house.

And from what I have seen and heard about them, they are not creatures I really care to deal with.  I have no problem working with Harpies – I have found them to be chaotic spirits, much akin to the storms they bring (original myths have them listed as storm goddesses, prior to becoming vengeful creatures).  So while they do possess the ability to bring serious destruction, they aren’t doing it out of spite…no more than a hurricane fixates on one individual.  And I’ve found with the correct offerings, they are highly protective beings.  Fae on the other hand, can be willfully malicious whenever they choose.  You can ask a boon of them, but know that the payment they will require will come in ways you never thought possible and typically at the worst opportune moment for you.  Much like asking a favor of a Mafia Boss.  Thanks but no thanks.

The Harpies did screw me over in the first request I made from them, but I don’t fault them for it.  I approached them, without having an established working relationship, which would have afforded me the knowledge on how they work and operate.  And I was dumb enough to leave it up to them to choose the sacrifice they thought would fit the protection I was asking of them.  I used to drink Starbuck’s White Mocha Lattes EVERY DAY.  But after that first deal with them, in which they told me no coffee for a month…I find that I do not enjoy those drinks any more.  So the sacrifice ended up being much longer than 30 days.  ::chuckles::  So know, I know to have an offering on hand or have a few sacrifices I am willing to make, that they can choose from.

So the bottom line with the Fae – it’s not that I hate them or loathe them.  It’s not that they’ve royally screwed me over.  It’s that I know they have an enjoyment of doing so, and are very humanoid creatures that overly enjoy mischief for the sake of mischief and that is behavior I just don’t have any room in my life for.

No comments:

Post a Comment