Thursday, July 14, 2016

Birthdays and Growing Things

written: July 13th



Happy third anniversary to my Brother and Sister-in-Law!

I am feeling a bit “off” today.  I finished up the last two pen pal letters today. I am so glad to have that done and off my plate.  I am surprised to see how guilty I felt about not responding in a timely manner.

I received notification today that the journal swap I participated in via the Letter Month group has finally returned back to its owner in Australia.  I didn’t particularly enjoy that swap.  But maybe it was because I did not really know anyone in the group – still don’t, to be honest.  I am not sure if I will participate in the next round.

I wish I knew where my creativity and passion have gone.  I just feel like my creative well has run dry.  And I seriously miss my creativity.

I have also become such a homebody.  Then again, it is very difficult to want to go out and do stuff when it is already in the mid-90s by 10 am.  I really want to travel back to Wolf Park this October.  I am truly craving a trip and some good old wolf time.  Maybe that is why my creativity is gone – I have been civilized for far too long.

I can’t believe that I turn 35 years old this November.  That is one of those “big” numbers that feel like an important date to celebrate.  I have no idea how I will celebrate.  Fuck it, maybe I will take a few days off and do a quick road trip.  I have been wanting to go dig my own crystals in Arkansas for a while now.  Or the aquarium in Atlanta?  A zoo trip up to Oklahoma City?  I don’t know.  I just want to DO something fun.  I have got four months to come up with a game plan of some sort.

So on a whim (I’m rather enjoying my whims as of late), I opted to save three seeds from the most delicious apples I’ve ever eaten.  Sandy, my Tech Boss, talked on and on about these amazing “Ambrosia” apples and then I happened to see them at Walmart.  So I opted to pick up a few, on a whim, and holy crap.  I can say with all confidence that Sandy was not lying.  These were some of the absolute BEST apples I’ve ever eaten.  As I was consuming these amazing apples, I thought it might be fun to try my hand at growing one of these trees from a seed.

I saved three seeds.  I tried my hand at germinating them in a plastic baggie, as I’ve seen countless teachers do.  I must say, I wasn’t expecting much.  But I was pleasantly surprised when I opened it up today to peek in on my little seeds today, to see that all three did sprout.  Sadly one began to mold, but still, two seedlings remain.  I’ve since planted them in a little tub of soil with some nice fertilizer.  I do hope at least one makes it.  I would like to plant it in the backyard, along with a decent little garden next spring.

I have never been one to have a green thumb, nor to enjoy gardening.  But I’m finding that I rather like it.  I’m happy that the crape myrtle we purchased (and that Rocky the lawn care guy damn near destroyed), is doing so well.  The description did not lie nor embellish – the blossoms truly are rocket red.  We’ve had to

2 comments:

  1. Had to....?

    Ambrosia apples are one of the most common breeds here in NZ, for good reason. I hope your seedlings survive :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, have no idea where that lil dangling thought at the very end came from. *laughs*

      Delete