Friday, July 15, 2016

Careeer Dreams and Journals



Ever since I wrote about not fully knowing what I want done with my journals upon my death (many years and adventures from now, Spirit willing), a number of people have commented that they are of the same mind.  They no idea what they want done with their journals, only that they would prefer not close family to keep them – which I completely understand.  I would rather my journals go to a friend than a family member as well.

But the more people state they wish there was somewhere their journals could go…the more and more I am feeling the pull that this might be something I could help with.  I talk about how my dream job would be to work in the Vatican, for a year, to aid in them digitizing their rare and ancient manuscripts collection.  But maybe, the more realistic dream would be to work on amassing a collection of journals from around the world?  I could still put my archiving desires to work, AND fill a need that so many people who keep journals find themselves at a loss with what to DO with them.  I have much to think on between now and graduation.

The meeting with my Academic Advisor went very well today.  I learned a number of things I did not know previously.  Even though I may specialize in my degree, that information will not appear on my actual degree itself.  However, they do offer Graduate Academic Certifications – which they highly recommend for archivists.  It does not require anything extra…I just have to take certain classes, which would be a part of my degree plan anyways.  

So this journal collection and preservation could be a pet project of mine and who knows?  Maybe it will catch wind and grow.  I can only hope for a similar level of success that PostSecret has garnered.  That is my inspiration.  Granted, it is easier and cheaper to mail in secrets on postcards, but maybe we could have at least half the success?  I would work to digitize the journals as well.  But I would also honor any requests for anonymity that the authors put on their journals.  Typical requests I have seen would be to hold the journal for a certain number of years after the author’s death.  But eventually, I would like to be able to share the journals with the greater public.  

For now, this is just a dream I am contemplating.  I have no idea what a project of this magnitude would entail at the moment.  Maybe as I move further along with my classes, I’ll have a better idea.  We shall see what the future holds.

Another path that my Mom suggested would be to work for Ancestry.com.  She saw a tv clip about it a while back and thought it sounded pretty damn awesome for me.  Maybe there will be a way to combine the two?

No comments:

Post a Comment