Thursday, July 21, 2016

Deities

written: July 17th



2016 Grimoire Challenge Question: If you have deities, or are open to deities, put it down.

Am I open to deities?  ::dies laughing::  Sekhmet laid claim to me back in 1996 and only once has she sent me off to a different deity in that entire time (she sent me off to study and learn more about the Good Red Road, to walk beside Tatanka for a year).  I have worked with (and continue to work with) other spirits, but no other deity is at her level. 

Even Artemis, whom I give daily incense and prayer offerings to, as she is the deity that came forward when Holly died…and thus, Artemis receives daily incense for my gratitude for her watching over and caring for my dogs, both living and deceased.  But still, I belong heart, mind, and soul, to Sekhmet.

Even the gods will come courting from time to time.  But they do not stay very long.  Cernunnos, antlered god of the wilds, came and played for half a year.  I still pray to him when I see a dead animal – I release their spirits up to him.  I figure everything, even a “lowly” skunk or rat, deserves someone to mark their passing…someone to care.

Here recently, the god Set has come to play, mostly when the storms here get really nasty.  I say a prayer to him, for him to spare me and my property any major damages.  And when the storms play nice, I will dance out in the rain with him as well.

The Harpies, which will get an entry all of their own, are “minor” deities?  Spirits?  I have a hard time classifying them.  They aren’t on the same level of Sekhmet, but are above humans for damn sure.  ::shrugs::  It doesn’t really matter to them, as long as I recognize they outrank me at least.  ::laughs::  They originally were wind spirits and are quite fond of storms as well.  Yes, they are also the bringers of divine justice and retribution, but only on those who have earned it. 

But back to Sekhmet, my White Lioness of the Desert.  She is my matron goddess, one that I have dedicated myself to.  One who watches over, guides, and protects me….and royally smacks me upside the head when I’m being unusually stubborn, dense, or just down right obstinate.  And let me tell you, I can be one stubborn son of a bitch.  Sekhmet certainly has her work cut out for her trying to steer me.  ::laughs::

Sekhmet is the goddess of desert, the noon day son, lions, war, and the plague.  But she is also the goddess of divine protection, healing, and her ancient Egyptian priests were the surgeons of the time.  To me, she is the sacred White Lioness.  She is the divine mother.  And she will protect her pride and her cubs to the death…and beyond.  I can tell when she arrives in ritual, because the temperature rises and I can practically feel her fur graze my skin as she paces the sacred area.  And when she’s pleased with the ceremony or with me, I can feel her purr rumble in my very bones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment