Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Customs



"In truth, the word religion would have been an unknown, foreign term to [the Vikings].  The Nordic tribes preferred the word "customs" as -- like the Greek and Romans -- their rituals, beliefs, and traditions were undefined and fluidly interpreted, orally passed down rather than rigidly studied." -- from "The True Meaning of Paganism" by Ryan Stone.

I really like this term "customs" as opposed to "religion" in regards to my personal rites, ceremonies, observances, and beliefs.  I find this term especially appropriated, given how Mr. Stone uses it.

My customs are ever-evolving.  I adopt, adapt, and discard whatever I come across.  I am truly a Raven Spirit in this regard.  If I come across a ritual, altar set up, or concept that strikes my fancy, I collect it up and turn it over in my mind.  I tweak it to fit my personality and test it out.  If it works, I keep it, and continue to tweak it each time I use it.  If it doesn't work, I see if anything is salvageable from the original idea and then discard the rest.

Within my "customs" you will find elements of Paganism, Wicca, Traditional Witchcraft, Shamanism (both New World and Old World elements), Satanism, Luciferianism, and a whole lot of my own personal flavorings.

For instance, after I did my first Sweat Lodge, Buckskin (the Medicine Woman hosting the Lodge and a good friend of mine) said I needed to make offerings of tobacco after each rainstorm, as the Thunder Beings had visited us during the Lodge.  I did that for a number of years before I realized that I no longer felt any connection to the Thunder Beings.  I opted to honor just the Storm because it brings rain, which Texas can always use, but switched over to an offering of incense instead of tobacco.  And, here in the past year or so, I've begun working with the Greek Harpies.  Originally they were storm goddesses, so I've modified my personal custom to light incense in their honor during the storms, and to ask for their protection as well -- as storms in Texas can turn very nasty.

I am currently reevaluating the Pagan Wheel of the Year -- the eight major holidays (called Sabbats) that follow a very generic neo-Pagan story of the God and Goddess throughout the seasons.  The standard mythos means nothing to me for a number of reasons.  First off, the God plays no significant role in my faith.  Secondly, the mythos revolves around the Goddess giving birth and being a mother -- something I have chosen not to participate in and have no desire to ever do.  Also, most of the Goddesses in the mythos have no ties to me.  They are typically very stereotypical Female -- something I don't feel any real kinship for.

And then there is my actual relationship with the Divine.  I see the Divine much akin to a parent.  In the beginning, you are extremely dependent on It -- looking to It for guidance and support as you start out on your Spiritual Path.  But as you learn to walk and learn what works for you, you become more self-reliant.  And ultimately, Self-Reliance is what I feel we should all be striving for.

Note: Ryan Stone's full article on "The true meaning of Paganism" (which I highly recommend) can be found here:
http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/true-meaning-paganism-002306

No comments:

Post a Comment