Friday, April 24, 2015

Plague and Snails

written: April 23rd

I am slowly returning to the Land of the Living. This Plague (gift of my ever loving husband) has been brutal. Even now, it’s not quite ready to let me go, but thankfully, I can tell its grip is beginning to loosen.

I have resumed my daily walks with Holly through the woods yesterday and today. It feels more like the Pacific Northwest in my woods than Texas, with all the daily rain we’ve been getting, along with the milder temperatures. And I’m certainly not complaining. The damp and cool weather tends to keep people inside, which means the woods are blissfully empty of humans. Just me, my dog, the birds, and all the little crawling creatures of the world.

The snails have really woken up this season are out in masses. Sadly, once the sun appears, these little guys generally find themselves stranded on blistering sidewalks where people walk without a care in the world. So I’ve taken on the small job of just picking them up and tossing them into the undergrowth in the direction they were headed.

Snail totem is all about protection and being aware of your surroundings. For me, they speak of slowing down and just enjoying what’s going on. I guess sometimes, you do need to let life pass you by just so you can relish what you have right now. The Plague has taught me that as well.

I am running very low on energy and strength and am having to rely on others. I’m having to listen to my body and heed its needs and demands. It knows what it needs to combat this Plague…namely SLEEP and REST. I’m sure if I just took one day completely off of both jobs and just slept and rested and took hot showers as needed, I would heal so much quicker. And I hate that society frowns upon self-care.

I got into fairly serious trouble for calling in sick on Monday to Starbucks. The Plague was just beginning to wage war and there was no way I could survive four hours at Starbucks....not to mention, I was running a fever at the time, which means I’m contagious. But heaven forbid I take the shift off so I don’t get my coworkers (and customers) sick. My husband got off of work early and stopped by Starbucks on his way home, and my boss (Douche Bag Darrell), practically climbed over the guy at the window to pepper my husband with questions about if I was “really” sick.

Honestly, that ended up really making my husband angry and oh, how he longed to tell Douche Bag Darrell exactly what he thought of him! But, I do need this morning job, so David reigned it in. But seriously? Who does that? If Douche Bag Darrell thought I was lying, why not man up and ask me himself, instead of trying to twist my husband’s words? Just goes to show what depth of character my boss posses. And honestly, at that moment, my husband was a paying customer. Stop harassing him and just give him his damn coffee he’s purchased and let him go on about his way! I really need to put in a transfer request, just so I can finally be free of this manipulative bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment