Saturday, October 31, 2015

Classes, Crickets & Bats

written: Oct 28th

Alright, so I have officially registered for my two GRADUATE classes. Now the panic has officially set it. ::laughs:: My brain is screaming “what the HELL did we just sign up for?” Oye. I’m sure I’ll ask myself that multiple times between now and when I finally finish the damn degree. Onwards though! Always onwards.

There is a slight confusion though. I was pretty sure that both classes I signed up for were web-based, but the INFO 5000 says that it meets on Tuesday nights. While I could make that work, I would rather not lose 2 hours of work each Tuesday. I’m already cutting out working at Starbucks, so I won’t have that extra monetary cushion. I’ve sent an email to my advisors asking for clarification. Hopefully there is an online one that I can so, so I’m not losing so much time off my paycheck. Just gotta keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best!

Elizabeth E. (an old high school buddy) had shared over the summer about her feeding crickets to her Youth Group and I KNEW I just had to do that with my students. I picked up four boxes of Crick-ettes at the Abilene Zoo the last time I was down there. I had NO idea they would be such a huge hit with the kids. Seriously, I had students that were UPSET because they didn’t get a cricket! ::laughs:: I should have know better! But I’ve found a place I can order them on-line for about half the price. And the website has a Bacon & Cheddar flavored ones (we only had Salt & Vinegar and Sour Cream & Onion flavored crickets).

alt text

And because I know inquiring minds want to know....yes, I did indeed eat a cricket. Two actually – one of each flavor. And honestly, they weren’t that bad. Very dry and flaky, but not horrible tasting. So yeah, the plan is to purchase more next month – and hopefully each of my students that want to try a cricket can. ::chuckles:: That should cut down on the whining! ::grins and winks:: I’m going to have to remember to do this each year around Halloween. I think it would make for a great fun “tradition” at the After School Program.

I like making silly little traditions like this. In October we also decorate bats. I trace a bat outline on cardstock and then the students are allowed to decorate them however they please. I’ve got all sorts of Marvel superhero based Bats, along with some Pokemon ones and even a Texas A&M one. ::laughs:: The kids just love it and look forward to it each year. I think I may try to figure out something similar to that to do for each month.

No comments:

Post a Comment