Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Passions and Journals

written: July 13th

alt text

“Ignoring your passion is slow suicide. Never ignore what your heart pumps for. Mold your career around your lifestyle, not your lifestyle around your career.”

This is a beautiful quote I round today dicking around on Facebook, and it just resonated with me on all levels. This is what I am working towards. While I do not believe that being a librarian is my passion (but who knows? maybe it is, but I just haven’t tried it out yet.), but it is enjoyable and will pay better – to fund my real passions in life.

I want to travel – to see all the spectacular wildlife in its natural habitats that I possibly call. I want to set food on all seven continents in the world. I want to hone my photography skills – to take it beyond the simple raw talent I currently posses, and turn it into something even better. I want to learn how to properly work with venomous snakes – regardless if I ever decided to actually own any personally.

So getting this Master’s degree is my first aggressive step towards my passions. I should really make a list of things I want to accomplish in the next 5 years…and then a list of things to accomplish in the next 10 years. I should post them somewhere I can see them everyday and remind myself what I am doing all this craziness for. I know me – I will need the motivation from time to time, when the going gets rough.

I want a house of our very own. I am so beyond over apartment living. For all my Gypsy wandering, I do want and need a home base. If nothing else, I need somewhere to house and show off all the neat things I get on all my awesome travels! ::laughs:: And there is something to be said about sleeping in one’s own bed. Besides, if nothing else, I need a place to stash my various journals and photo-books. The digital age is nice, but nothing beats having the book or journal in your hands, and being able to physically thumb through it.

This does bring up a topic that all of us who keep physical journals wrestle with – what will I do about my journals upon my death? I don’t have any children to leave them to – WON’T have any either, so that’s not even an option. And my Lil Nephew? I’m sure my very Christian Bro and Sis-in-Law would not want him reading all of my decidedly non-Christian (some could probably even be called anti-Christian) beliefs and thoughts. I guess in the end, I hope that I am lucky enough to know when my life will be drawing to a close and that mentally, I’m still there. If so, then I will have a lovely little bonfire. i would scan and save my best pages online – but then burn everything. Maybe even make s’mores while the pages all burn.

But if I am not able to do so, I do hope whomever inherits my belongings upon my death, will honor my request to destroy my journals. I don’t care if they read the journals – I won’t be around to deal with any potential fall out. ::laughs:: I’ll add in my Will about my journals – that whomever elects to read them, then they will have to deal with how they feel about anything I have written. They are my words, my thoughts, my emotions – I own those. But I would hope my words wouldn’t harm those I leave behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment