Thursday, July 23, 2015

Dealership Awareness

written: July 18th



Oh Saturday.  What a sucky, boring ass day you were.  But I am honestly trying not to focus on the negative here.  My husband was able to trade in his VW Beetle (which apparently he hates?  I am not sure when that occurred, but it is there now).  And he got a very nice 2014 Honda Civic with ALL the bells and whistles.  I am more than a little jealous, I will admit.  But he's been rather keen for me to drive it, so it's a bit better.  I am still rather bewildered at this overwhelming need to change cars every two to three years that my husband does.  I don't know.  Maybe it was growing up without a lot of frivolous money, but I am of the mindset that you buy a car and then you keep it until it dies either a heroic death, or a death of old age.

But that is neither here nor there.  What is done is done.  And unless he has a DAMN good reason, I will beat his ass if he tried to get rid of this care two to three years down the road.  The next car we should get rid of (barring any crazy issues) should be mine -- a 2005 Honda Civic.

Anyways, so getting to spend four-and-a-half hours at the car dealership, while certainly not my idea of a fun way to blow a Saturday, did give me the means and motivation to begin reading The Circle Within by Dianne Sylvan.  And surprisingly, it's a great book, even though it is Wiccan-based.  and while I certainly do not subscribe to Wiccan philosophy or ethics, it does offer a lot of good food for thought.  I am taking notes of quotes and ideas Ms. Sylvan poses that resonate with me.  I intend to mull them over more in-depth once I complete my initial read through.  I will most likely read the book once or twice more before releasing it (aka, selling it).  All in all, I can think of worse says to spend $8 (what I paid for the book).

But all this time reading at the dealership reminded me how much I do enjoy reading and learning in general.  I wish I could do a graduate degree in religious groups and/or world cultures and be able to make money with it.  But I guess being able to work in a library and have nearly unlimited access to such books makes for a great Plan B.  ::grins::

I also came to realize, during my time completely unplugged at the dealership, that I waste way too much time on the internet when it is available.  This is time I could be reading, writing, art journaling, taking classes and workshops at the various New Age and Pagan stores, doing my own ceremonies and rituals, or just enjoying a pleasant walk with Ole Lady Dog -- Holly.  I am wasting so much of my time on the internet that I am not out enjoying my life to its fullest.  How sad is that?

So I will be enacting a great culling once more.  I will be paring down the FaceBook groups and the "Like" Pages, to clear out the electronic clutter I have there.  I should not feel obligated to devote hours and hours to FaceBook, so I can keep up with everyone's lives in minute detail.  I should also cull my friends' list.  There are a number of people I am "friends" with, but that I could either care less about, or actually do not want to see their posts.  And I'm having to slosh through all their crap to check on those I actually care about.  That needs to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment