Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Masters and Wolves

written: July 6th



So I finally set up a meeting with the University of North Texas to discuss the possibility of me going to grad school for a Master's degree in Librarian and Information Sciences.  It always takes me a while to actually act on such plans (I have been talking about this for a few years now and am just now taking concrete steps).  Especially ones that require me to step out of my comfort zone.  And given that I finished my bachelor's degree TEN years ago, going back to college is a bit daunting.  Not to mention it's for a MASTER'S degree!  But I figured since I am delving into actively studying for the GRE, I should get all the necessary information for the actual program before I just jump right in.  I am trying to Look before I Leap here.  But at the same time, I'm trying not to super procrastinate, all the while claiming that I am just being "cautious" or "gathering more information", all the while NOT doing a damn thing.

So hopefully this meeting with the University will be able to fully answer all my concerns and give me a realistic game plan for this next phase of my life.  I have had an amazing run in child care, and I will definitely be sad to close the door on that, but I am ready for a change.  In September of this year, I will have completed nineteen years in child care.  A truly amazing feat given that I am only 33 years old.  Yep, been doing this shit since I was 15. Craziness.

The Tech Job is truly testing my patience (and it's a test I believe I am doomed to FAIL).  A co-worker, Christina (not to be confused with my assistant store manage at Starbucks), while a very kind and caring woman, irritates the ever loving SHIT out of me.  I hate passive speakers and she is one of the worst.  She ends almost every single sentence with "you know"?  And then she waits for you to respond.  Most of her comments that end with her " you know?" don't actually require a response, but because she ends it with "you know?" and the rising inflection in her voice that turns what should just be a simple statement into a question, and the fact that she stares at you all expectant afterwards, it kind of forces you to respond.  And that, I just hate.  Don't force me to respond.  I would rather stay quiet and simply nod my head if your statement truly does not require a response from me than to feel guilt-tripped into spewing more verbal garbage just to make you feel better.  I am not one of those people who have to keep a running verbal dialog of every little thought that pops into my head.  Hell, I learned a long time ago that very few people, if any, want to hear every single thought that runs through my head.  But then again, most of my thoughts are raunchy, offensive, and/or violent.  ::laughs::  Maybe that is why I tend to keep my thoughts to myself?

Maybe it is also because I am a Wolf among the Lambs -- my thoughts and beliefs are typically vastly different fro the rest of the herd.  And I learned young what it is like to be feared, and thus shunned, from the flock.  I make them quite uncomfortable because I question everything.  I challenge everything.  And that has ruffled a lot of feathers.

No comments:

Post a Comment