Saturday, July 4, 2015

Litha Altar

written: July 3rd

My Litha Altar (recreated for the photo):

alt text

This is my altar for Litha, the Summer Solstice, back on June 21st.

Explaining my altar:
- Yellow altar cloth (it’s a nice scarf I picked up on eBay)…yellow for the sun.
- All three of my Sekhmet statues. Given that today is a day that traditionally celebrates the Sun’s power, strength, and gifts, I thought it only fitting to really celebrate my Lion-headed goddess…who is the personification of the Sun.
- The red “saint” candle is Sekhmet’s. Red is Her sacred color.
- Yellow, orange, and red candle is a Litha candle I purchased on Etsy specifically for this holy day. It has a nice aroma.
- The yellow/gold candle holder/vase in front of the Litha candle was given to me by my sister-in-law. I thought the pattern on it and the color made it a perfect sun symbol.
- Yellow flowers from my wooded trails.
- Bird feathers…simply gifts from nature that looked very nice on my altar.
- In front of the golden Sekhmet on the left is the beaded sun catcher ornament I made in celebration of the sun. For being my first time EVER working with wire and beads, I think it turned out quite nice.
- Carnelian heart, large tumbled Garnet, and a Lion’s claw are at the base of the golden Sekhmet statue…all offerings to Her.

Litha is the longest day (and thus, shortest night) of the year. Supposedly from here on out, the days will get shorter. Litha is supposed to be the height of the sun....but here in Texas, summer is just gearing up. Our hottest days are still over a month away. So it does present a challenge on how to celebrate it in a way that resonates with me. Traditional Wicca heralds this day as the Goddess is heavy with child and the God is at his strongest. Given that motherhood plays no role in my life…nor does a god…I reject this traditional view.

Instead, I spent the day lounging in the pool, basking in the sun’s heat and warmth. I spoke openly with Sekhmet, thanking Her for all the blessings (and challenges…She loves disguising blessings in the heart of a good challenge) I’ve enjoyed thus far this year. I told her about my own plans for the rest of the year and asked for guidance and blessings in those endeavors.

The beaded sun catcher ornament turned out quite well.

alt text

I started with a reddish brown 20 gauge wire. The bottom crystal is a crystal glass faceted bean (18 x 23 mm). On the wire, I strung garnet beads (round, 8 mm), glass donut amber mix beads (3 x 6 mm), and real amber chips (that I have had for YEARS).

I certainly have a lot to learn on wire working, but really enjoyed myself. I can certainly see myself making more in the future. Yule specifically comes to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment