Friday, July 10, 2015

American Mythos

written: July 7th



I have been watching Ghost Adventures on Netflix lately and I had forgotten how bad it really is.  Don't get my wrong -- I certainly adore the eye candy (Zack Bagans), but the show is simply pure dramatics.  I watch it like one would watch a soap opera -- simply for amusement, but not for anything even remotely regarded as intellect.

I don't know.  Maybe Ghost Hunters (another paranormal investigation tv series) has me completely jaded.  But I find it extremely difficult to believe that every single place Ghost Adventures investigated is always haunted.  I liked that about Ghost Hunters -- they had no problem admitting they found nothing if that's how it really was.

And Ghost Adventures loves their "demonic entities".  If they hear a growl -- it is from a demonic entity.  If they heard a whispered threat -- it's from a demonic entity.  Oh, you heard the voice of a child?  Nope -- that's actually a demonic entity trying to trick you.  They have such a one-sided view of demons.  Now I don't have much experience with demons/daemons.  I honestly avoid them as I do angels -- way too Christian for me.  But what dealings I have had with them, they seem to have better things to do than to lounge around some run-down building, waiting for some people to show up, just so the demons/daemons can growl at them (very quietly, mind you), scratch them, and whisper death threats.  Granted, I'm not sure what exactly demons/daemons do with all their free time, but attacking Zak, Nick, and Aaron on Ghost Adventures just does not seem all that plausible. 

Oooh, I just came up with a great idea for a drinking game!  Every time Zak says "demonic", you take a shot.  Every time one of the three get light-headed, take a shot.  Every time they say "dude" or "bro" or "wow", take a shot.  Of course, you chose one or two of these options for the drinking game.  I certainly wouldn't recommend attempting all three.  You wouldn't make it through the hour long episode.  ::laughs::  Unless you are drinking non-alcoholic drinks.

And I adore Zak's fascination with blaming all "demonic entities" they encounter across the US on operating "Satanic groups".  Yeah, because Zak still believes, and continues to perpetuate, the (very untrue) myth that Satanists worship and invoke demons and/or Satan.  ::sighs::  Talk about making my eyes roll.  But I know there would be a huge outcry from the public if Zak told the truth -- breaking from the acceptable myth of Satanists, so I guess I can't really fault him.  He's an entertainer, and as an entertainer, his livelihood is directly tied to the public's approval.  So he can ill-afford to rock the boat.

But I do wish more people would challenge the myth.  I wish the truth would come out and more people knew what Satanists were really all about.  Now, I will admit that I don't know a ton about Satanism, but I know enough not to believe all the media hype and myth.  I just wish people were more open to learning about and understanding religions beyond just their own.  I wish they wouldn't accept the Hollywood hype as fact surrounding Satanism, Witchcraft, Paganism, Voodoo, and any other Occult-based religions and/or philosophies. 

Maybe this is all just wishful thinking.....

No comments:

Post a Comment