Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Depression Snob?

I have a friend on Facebook....well, more of an acquaintance? Maybe more than an acquaintance?

I am/was good friends with her fiance/boyfriend (ok, ok, truth be told, I slept with him, while he was with a previous girlfriend, but that’s because said girlfriend was sleeping with my roommate at that exact moment.....gods this sounds horrible....ok, so it was a consensual 4 way, ok!). ANYWAYS!!!!!!!

And she’s all out there with her depression and emotions and all that jazz.

And I’m looking at her like she’s batshit crazy because no matter how dark my days/evenings get, I very, very rarely (ok, so I NEVER) post about them so honestly and so publicly.
I mean, sure I’ll write about what’s going on in my head in my blogs or whatever.

I but I won’t write “Feeling like shit. I do not know why I bother typing.”
Or “Been a while since I cried myself to sleep, might be a good night for that.”
Or “I’m very not ok tonight. Ugh.”

And I’m just....bewildered.

Maybe it’s my sociopathic tendencies.
Maybe it’s my Scorpio traits.
Maybe it’s the way I was raised, or the time, or the location, or what have you.

But damn. I just couldn’t imagine being that.....blatantly open about that stuff.

To me, it just screams “attention-seeking” and I hate that I feel that way about it. I get all damn elitist about it....thinking to myself REAL depressed people just do not do that. REAL depressed people bottle in it because we don’t want the world to truly see how bad we are hurting.

Like I am head president of Depressed People International or something.

Who am I to judge?

But I just can’t engage. It is so damn foreign to me that I can’t even begin to come up with something to say. Just had to put that out there.
Edit
A private comment hit the nail right on the head. This individual seems to be seeking out pity. And me? I cannot STAND pity. It doesn’t help the situation at all and I hate feeling like someone is looking down on me in pity. Totally makes me skin crawl.
I do believe that’s why I run away from her “oh woe is me” posts. Because I feel she’s hunting for pity, not help. Her fiance, who lives with her and posts quite regularly on her facebook stuff, doesn’t even touch these posts. And they go up at least one day a week, where all day it’s just “woe, woe, woe is me”. Now, he could be doing stuff there in person for her, so I don’t worry about her quite as much as I would worry about a friend that lived alone. But damn, when I can almost set my watch to when the Pity Wagon starts up on her page, I just have a hard time taking it completely seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment