Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Teaching


photographer: Alexi Lubomirski

 
I've completed 4 of the online classes for the Texas Teacher's alternative teaching program already.  I'm feeling quite proud of myself.
And while this isn't my number 1 choice in jobs, it is something I know I'll be good at.  And the fact that I'll be making more money, has already taken quite the load off of my shoulders.
See, I make damn good money hourly at the moment...$23.81 an hour before taxes.  It's just that my hours are SERIOUSLY limited and I'm barely making ends meet.  Hell, sometimes they don't meet. 
Like right now, I'm off of work as school is closed.  And while I'm relishing the time off....the ability to finish out my last classes and then prep for the teacher's test....those are DAYS that I'm not getting paid for at all.  No money is coming in and I don't go back to work until January 7th.  See how that hurts my paycheck?
Once I'm a teacher, I can opt to have my salary spread out over 12 months, so I'll get paychecks in the summer, even when I'm not working.  I can't begin to explain how excited I am over that alone.  No more having to hunt up summer jobs.  I can take a summer job, sure, if I want it.  But it isn't a desperate thing.

I've opted to take myself off of Abilify.  Even on the half dose, I couldn't sit still for more than 15 minutes.  Focusing was damn near impossible.  I was just insanely restless and paced quite a bit.  So I'm off it.  I've got to be able to focus if I'm going to finish up the last of these classes. 

I found a taxidermy place in Lewisville that I plan to check out soon.  I have a set of antlers my brother let me have that I would like to have professionally cleaned and then mounted.  I have to check out the price on that before I can move forward with that plan.

And I still have to pay for the Sekhmet painting Kimberly is doing for me.  She's requested that she be allowed to put it on hold until the new year.  Which helps me out greatly. 

AND there's a lady on Deviant Art that made a beaded bracelet based off of the pattern on her Bearded Dragon's back.


I would love to have something similar made of Leviathan's patterns and contacted her about the possibility.   She says that Leviathan has get colors and patterns for a bracelet, but that the bracelets start at $90.  *sighs*  So that's another fun thing that is going on the backburner.

As for the non-fun things, just about everything on my car to stand to be replaced.  I need to replace 3 of the 4 fuel injectors (have replaced one, which is why I 3 left to fix), plus a complete fuel cleanse and flush AND new fuel filter (about $900 for all of that).  I also need new motor mounts ($250 to $500 -- haven't gotten a quote on that just yet, will be calling them tomorrow).  Two new tires, though my mom has offered to pay for those.  We'll be looking at tires this weekend and getting that taken care of.

So yeah, the sooner I can start teaching, the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment