Sunday, May 31, 2015

Drum Making Class

So I went to a Drum Making Class being offered through a new-to-me local Pagan shop. Typically, going somewhere new, being around all new people, and doing something I’ve never done before, sends me into a full-blown panic attack. But this is something I’ve been wanting to do for AGES, so I pounced at the chance and paid in my $55 so there was no way I could back out of it.

And sure enough, when it came time to drive over there, I could feel the anxiety rising.

But I’m so glad I went. I had a BLAST.
Even if I was sitting by the most neurotic, perfectionist on the planet.

I did amaze myself at how well I just rolled with the experience. I wasn’t hung up on making The Most Perfect Drum EVER. I was focused on doing my best with THIS drum. MY drum.

And damn, is she gorgeous. It’s difficult to capture the color properly, as the skin is still damp, and I can’t put the drum in direct sunlight yet. There is all this feathering and striping within the red, due to the elk hide that I wish showed up better in this photo.

alt text

Hopefully, I can get a photo of her outside on Wednesday and I can get some photos that truly do her justice.

And the very quick drum beater that I made as well, to go with my drum:

alt text

I am debating if I’ll remake this. I kind of want to replace the cloth head with a leather/suede one. But I’m getting the feeling that it’s just fine the way it is. I’ll test it out on my drum once she dried and cured completely and make my decision at that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment