Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Elder

Me? An “elder”? Who’d a thunk that? ::laughs::

Hazel, a Pagan friend I’ve come to really like in the few times I’ve hung out with her since she started up a group for Pagan women in our city, has asked me to help her perform her dedication ritual.

Originally, she asked me to dedicate her, but in my views, that would be the same as me initiating her. And in my views, only a coven can initiate, and just two Witches that have done one ritual together does not make a coven. So instead, I’ve offered to help her do a self-dedication instead.

At first, I thought to myself, “This is something an elder does. And at the young age of 34, I am most certainly not an elder.”

But, the more I thought about it, I’m certainly closer to being an elder than Hazel is. I’ve been walking the Pagan path for close to 20 years now. I’ve done solitary work. I’ve been a part of three Covens. So yeah, I have some clout here.

And while I will not call myself an elder (outside of joking around), this is a role that resonates with me. I have always thought it would be an awesome responsibility to be an elder for a Pagan community. I just didn’t think I would be doing that right now.

So I’ve told Hazel that we need to meet up to go over her ritual (meaning, SHE will be writing the ritual out).

She wants to hold her dedication ritual next weekend, if we can find an outdoor place that works for her (and if the weather behaves – especially seeing as how last year, winter didn’t hit until mid-February).

No comments:

Post a Comment