Saturday, January 29, 2022

ShitShow

Ok, so here’s a brief overview of The Shitshow that I’ve vaguebooked about.

Tuesday, 20 minutes before we close, boss sends me a message that she wants me to plan our library branch’s anniversary party. And then begins rattling off all the places she wants me to contact. I kind of push back because I’m also still working on all the summer reading/programs as well. She basically says deal with it.

Wednesday, I have a meeting on the books that SAYS it’s for a summer reading recap. It was put in place LAST WEEK. This is important to note.

Instead, it’s a fucking ambush. It’s my boss and a higher up in the children’s department and it’s basically a 30 minute ass-chewing about how much I suck.

The highlights:
- got chewed out for not doing the virtual storytime. I was expecting this one. Had technically difficulties that day and, surprise surprise, my boss was on vacation (like she is at least once a month EVERY MONTH), so I had zero help trouble shooting. 

Everything else – basically the other 25 minutes of the “meeting” was completely new to me, and were things that my boss had multiple opportunities to talk to me about....and never breathed a single word to me. NEVER. And it ended with the head lady saying “well, I’m used to my children’s librarians being the first in the door and asking ‘what can I do to help’, so when I have to lead someone to do their job, maybe you just aren’t cut out to be a children’s librarian.” And then she talked about how there are other non-children’s librarian positions open and maybe one of those would be a better fit for me. I literally had to pick my jaw up off the ground.

Oh, and let’s revisit that anniversary that my boss dropped in my lap, because head lady brought it up – about how it’s our branch’s 50th anniversary in March and how my boss doesn’t feel like she can count on me to do it, but do I feel like I can handle that. Oh, I popped right back with, Well, now that I know WHAT anniversary it is and WHEN it is supposed to happen, I feel like I’m a bit better prepared. And that made head lady blink and ask what I meant and I GLADLY told her that I was only told about it the previous night TWENTY MINUTES before closing and was given ZERO information about it.

So Wednesday night I went home from work, ANGRY AF. Because my boss threw me under the bus. Then backed the bus back over me to stab me a few times before running over me again for good measure.

So Thursday I came in to work, and emailed head lady to say that other than the storytime, EVERYTHING ELSE came as a complete blindside. And that since she brought it up, I was curious to know a bit more about the possibility of changing jobs as an option.

She wrote back that she was sorry to hear that, but from all the DISCUSSIONS she and my boss have had about me, she assumed my boss was talking to me about these things. I friggin’ saw red at that point. And head lady also said that this sounded like a conversation I should have with my boss. Um, NO. That sounds like a conversation YOU need to have with YOUR subordinate on how to do HER job. That is NOT my job to do for you.

So yeah, I told her right then and there that I wanted to change positions and that I completely understand that it meant I would also be giving up my position at this branch (this branch has to have a children’s librarian).

So.....that’s where everything sits.

And trust me....I’ve only painted with the broadest of strokes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment