Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Going Nuts

Whelp, today was a crap shoot.  Not even gonna get into it.  It’s not worth the effort.

Instead, let’s talk about my newest nutty hobby obsession.  I want to learn how to process acorns into edible form.  You have leech out the toxins before you can grind them into flour or roast them and apparently, that can be quite the endeavor.  But it CAN be done.  And also, apparently, different species of oak have different flavors?  Like who the hell knew?  So yeah, that’s going to be my autumn hobby. 

I figure this will be a good hobby to channel some of my Husband’s anxiety into as well.  Because, you can bet your ass, he WILL be helping me to go out and gather the acorns.  I’ll do all the leeching.  But unless he buys me a food processor, he will be the one grinding up all the acorns.  I’m not doing that on my own.  I would need a much larger mortar and pestle, and just, yeah, naw, not doing that shit by hand.  Just not gonna happen.

So yeah, that’s gonna be my autumn hobby.  Gathering and testing out various species of acorns to find the ones we like the best.  I’m going to start with Burr Oak acorns because, go big or go home.  And those guys are MASSIVE.  I figure, if Hubs and I go over to our City’s library, we could gather up a couple of pounds no problem in an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment