Monday, February 23, 2015

The Hope, the Dream, The Plan



Snow day!

Well…actually, not real snow. This is Texas after all. So we get this awesome mixture of ice, sleet, ICE, freezing rain....more ICE. Did I mention ice? Because we get a LOT of that. But yeah, we call it snow because it’s easier. It’s more romantic. *laughs*

Anyways, most of the schools across the state it seems are closed today. So that just left the Starbucks job. And um…yeah…that was NOT about to happen.

Texans have no concept of how to drive on ice (or in the rain, while we’re at it). We’ve place all our adaptive abilities into surviving the heat, so you can’t really blame us. But needless to say, Texans on ice is extremely dangerous, extremely unpredictable, but a whole lot of fun to watch from a safe distance. Oh we are the stubborn, defiant child State of the US. You tell us we can’t still do 90 on the highway, just because of an inch of ice on the road. Fuckin’ hold my beer and watch this shit....

So yeah, needless to say, I wasn’t going to risk life, limb, and car for Starbucks pay. I might have been persuaded to go to the after school program…because they’re paying me $20+ an hour to work there. But Starbucks? I’m getting just a hair’s breath over $8/hr. Yeah, fuck that noise. I called at 6:30 am to say I wouldn’t be coming in for my 4 hour shift. The reason? Told ‘em my car wouldn’t start. I just neglected to say it wouldn’t start because I wasn’t going out there to even try. *laughs* I am a Texas Wolf. I don’t do this type of weather. We’re not even busting out of the 20s today. Yep. Ain’t going out there.

Instead, I’ve taken a few naps. Finished up my laundry. Finished reading Bitten by Kelley Armstrong (for the 40th thousandth time, seriously....kind of like that book....like a lot). And now, I’m sipping on a Chai Tea Latte made at home (thanks to my Verismo machine) and looking through my GRE prep book that arrived yesterday....and alternating between asking myself what the fuck have I gotten myself into…and seeing that this is a lot like the Teacher Test, so it can’t be too god-awful. After all, look at how very little actual prep I put into the Teacher Test, and I did just FINE! *laughs* No worries, I’m actually taking the GRE more seriously than I did the Teacher Test.

Current rumor going around Facebook is that the schools will remain closed for tomorrow as well. If the roads aren’t horrid, I’ll probably be a good lil worker bee and go to my Starbucks shift tomorrow. Then more delving into the GRE prep book.

Given how poor my overall GPA is for my bachelor’s degree (wayyyy too much time goofing off and having a GREAT fun), I really need to knock out a good, high score to have the colleges take me seriously. Granted, UNT did accept me a while back when I was toying with the idea of pursuing a photography degree through them. I petitioned them to look at the GPAs for my final 5 semesters of my bachelors, when I carried nothing less than a 3.5, and they were quite impressed with that. So maybe with a good GRE score and the same petition that they look at my last 5 semesters’ GPAs, the grad schools will be willing to take a risk on me? And then I’ll blow all that out of the water and get an amazing librarian job, and be happy and filthy stinking rich for the rest of my life. * laughs * At least, that’s the hope, the dream, the plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment