Sunday, July 21, 2013

Babysitting, Resumes, and Jobs

handwritten last night

Second time babysitting for the Robinsons and it's going just as great as the first time, which is always a relief.  The extra cash will be a big help, too.  I desperately need it and it couldn't come at a better time.

I've been looking on CraigsList for part-time jobs I could do while keeping my school year job (after school program).  The only way I'll leave my gig is if I get a much better paying job.  For now, I'm just looking to do something in the morning that will bring in some much needed extra cash in case I don't get a teaching job right off the bat.  There are a few I'm interested in, so I'll apply and hopefully something will work out.

I brought my resume with me so I could rework it once the kids fell asleep.  Going off of what the Texas Teacher's video said about resume writing, I've seriously pared down my resume and made it more streamline.  I just worry that it's going to be too bare bones.  I'm only supposed to go back 10 years in my work experience -- but that's only two jobs.  Hopefully potential employers will see that as a true asset, as I don't change jobs on a whim, and that I'm a dependable employee.

I also wish that the original Montessori school wasn't one of those two listed jobs -- or at least I wish I knew what Donna will say when potential employers call her about me.  Will she be honest and praise me for the years of hard, dedicated work I gave her, or will she sink me because we parted on such poor terms?  I'm tempted to ask Allie (a coworker) if she'd call, pretending like she's wanting to hire me, and just see how Donna reacts. 

But I guess in all honesty, it doesn't matter, as there's nothing I can really do about Donna's answer.  She'll either be kind or be mean and there's no sense in worrying over it.  I've got tons of good references that will praise me highly, so maybe that's what I should focus on instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment