Monday, May 12, 2014

Feminine

alt text

It's a beautiful altar. The creator wrote this:
Altar for the day of the Goddesses. Incense, flowers candle and some of my favourite teas as offerings.

Now, I don't have a problem with the altar at all. It's beautiful and altars are a personal reflection of how one connects with the Divine.

My problem arises in the comments where it becomes apparent that cultural gender roles are encouraged and praised. That's what I have the issue with.
This altar was praised for being so wonderfully feminine due to the soft lighting and having a gentle feel to it.

And it really pissed me off, because my altars will almost never be described as that....neither will my goddess, Sekhmet. She is most definitely not "soft" or "gentle". And neither am I.
Now maybe I'm reading way too much into this, but I'm tired of these descriptive words being used to praise women and our "femininity". Am I gentle at times? Sure. Am I soft? Sure.

But why not praise me for my intelligence? Or my sharp-wit? My ability to handle craziness under pressure? My physical strength? My creativity? My humor?

Why do women always have to be praised for being quiet, soft, kind, gentle, forgiving? And those of us that aren't these things? We're frowned upon. And I know that isn't imagined on my part. I've had many people, male and female, comment on how un-feminine I am, and they aren't meaning it as a compliment.

And to that, I say THANK YOU.
I can take care of myself. I'm not some frail little creature that is scared of her own shadow, that needs a man to make her whole, who needs to be taken care of and protected.
Fuck that bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment