Tuesday, October 6, 2020

New Friends

So I made some new friends up at work today:

20201006_130957

Yep, those are Canada geese. And yes, and they are eating out of my hand.

20201006_131010

This originally started out as a random dream of mine. We have a number of Canada geese that hang out at the pond right beside the Library I work at. I had gone out to smoke and was able to get really close to them a while back. I got a nice photo of the flock and posted it on Facebook, stating that yes, I was totally That White Girl, and I wanted to pet one.

And of course, everyone commented about how it was an absolutely horrible idea. And how vicious and mean Canada geese are. Which, they aren’t wrong. Typical Canada geese are some of the meanest animals on the damn planet. But these are used to people and you can get quite close to them.

So I see a group of them while I’m out on my lunch break smoke and I decide this would be a good time to begin feeding them so they won’t see me as a threat. I figured if I did this long enough, eventually, I could befriend them.

You could have knocked me over with a feather when four of the flock came literally RUNNING over to me when they realized I had food. And when I went to toss the cracked corn, man, they started eating it out of my hand before I could even put it on the ground.

Now, not all of the flock was thrilled with having me there. I had the four piggies that were happy to eat everything out of my hand. I had another four that stood behind the piggies that would eat out of my hand if I would stretch out to them. I had one that hissed and pecked at me and would eat if I put the cracked corn on the ground. And then there were three that stood at the very back and wouldn’t come in close. At one point, I had my hand resting on the back of one of the piggies so the back four could eat.

So yeah, I got to pet my Canada goose.

The plan now is to befriend the entire flock of about 20 Canada geese. Nothing would be able to stop me at that point. ::cackles::

No comments:

Post a Comment