Sunday, May 2, 2021

Not That Kind of a Witch

I recently had a friend request that I light a candle for her family. This, in and of itself, is not an unusual request. Quite often I get requests to light candles for people for a variety of reasons. It comes with the territory of being a Witch. Though, I’m sure Catholics get similar requests, perhaps? Lighting votives at the Church. Though, I do admit, I do not know that much about the ins and outs of Catholicism.

But, I’m veering off topic. So this friend told me that her husband’s grandmother is having a difficult time with dementia. And it’s causing quite the strain on the family. Which, I completely understand, having my own grandmother battle dementia. I assumed she just wanted a candle for calming or for healing or something along those line.

Imagine my surprise, when instead, she requested a candle be lit to speed along the grandmother’s passing. Other than the dementia and a current bout of a UTI, this grandmother is in perfectly good health. And I’m being asked to work magick and prayer to speed the demise of a person. And while, I’m very much a gray Witch, and I am pro-hex....

But this? This I will not do. I work with chaotic spirits and deities and energies. I work within the Shadow Realm, sure. But I am not the one who makes that decision who lives and who dies – unless I am put into a kill or be killed type of situation. And this? This is not that type of situation.

Now, if SHE would like to light her own candles and say her own prayers to whatever deities she acknowledges? I will not pass judgement on that. Do as thou wilt.

But this Witch? Naw. Imma gonna sit that one out, thank you very much.

1 comment: