Saturday, April 11, 2020

5,110

Today is my 14th anniversary of no longer engaging in self-injurious behavior – what the mental health community now calls NSSI (Non-Suicidal Self Injury). Fourteen whole years – 5,110 days. And these past few years, honestly, have been some of the most challenging in this regard. But I’m here. Still going strong. Some days, it’s all I can do to just hang out and ride it out. Other days, I’m surfing on top the tsunami. Either way, I’ve learned to swim.

So I got a wild hair up my ass, and I’ve begun working on some rose beads.

20200407_161207

I had seen a video on YouTube a while back about making your own rose beads from fresh rose petals, and I’ve wanted to try my hand at making them ever since. So, since my rose bush is throwing out roses like crazy, and I’m spending all my time at home right now, so this is the perfect time. I harvested a handful of roses and have begun the process of grinding them up daily for the next 25 days (I started on April 7th). After that, I get to begin rolling them into beads. It will take a few days to dry, but I’m super excited about this. And since the rose bush has kicked off a bunch more roses, I’ve got those hanging out in the refrigerator. I hope they keep long enough for me to use them for a second batch. If not, I can go ahead and dry them and use them for something else. Hopefully, I’ll get to report back and show them off in a month.

And, originally, rosary prayer beads were made with rose beads…hence the name. And given how I’ve suddenly become rather fixated on prayer beads, how cool would it be to MAKE my own rosary? Plus, I also think it would be nice to make my Mother-In-Law a rosary as well. She’s Catholic, and I think it would be a very nice gift to send her. Maybe I could even get them blessed by a Catholic priest? We’ll see.

I have to show off the AMAZING artwork a pen-pal sent me of a golden eagle she drew:

20200411_211049

She’s offered to do one of a Harpy Eagle for me. She just needs some reference photos. So I went through my photography and have found two that I’m having printed and will send her. Looking through all of my photography has REALLY made me miss going to the zoos. As soon as the Quarantine is lifted, I will be going and taking hundreds of photos. I seriously miss it.

And I’ll finish this entry off with a photo of my husband’s latest guitar paint project.

part0

It’s turned out really bad-ass.

1 comment: