Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Venomous Snakes

I've long had a love for Gaboon Vipers and Rhino Vipers.
Seems the breeders have tired of making people choose one of the other and have now begun breeding hybrids.

They call these snakes Gabinos.
And man, are they beautiful:




These two photos are by JAMills on deviantArt.

And he says this one is a venomoid -- which is a venomous snake that has undergone a surgical procedure to remove or inhibit the production of venom.

My first thought was, "Sweet!  Now I can have my Gaboon without worry of it killing me."  But then I got to reading about this surgery...how honestly, inhumane it is.  And how it's generally not done correctly...or that these venom glands can regrow.  That they don't need full venom glands to kill -- as most venomous snakes deliver well over the needed dose in a single bite to kill a human.  And now I'm thinking...."Hmmm, maybe I should just do the work and learn how to properly handle these guys as safely as I can and stop looking to take short cuts."

No comments:

Post a Comment